Monday, July 5, 2010

Our First Pets

I knew it was inevitable..the day I would give in to getting a pet. I kept putting the kids/Rhett off. And the day finally came where I gave in. Rhett was very persistant on getting a dog. I told him a dog is like having another child, so my response was "Absolutley not". So, Rhett coerced me into getting chicks. So, where do we go when we want to buy anything? KSL classifieds...one of my favorite places to shop. We found an ad for 3 chicks and 2 ducks. We didn't want the ducks, but it was a packaged deal. So, we went and picked them up. It was love at first sight for the kids.
They had the chicks and ducks named before we even got home. They loved and cuddled and played with the ducks and chicks. Tate loved his chick so much, that we decided to teach him how to fly. He threw the chick up, and it came down and landed on its head. The next thing I know, Tate comes running in telling me his chick has a headache. I went out to assess the problem, and sure enough, that poor chick had a headache, it was dead. So, we then had a lesson with the kids on "chicks don't need to be taught how to fly".

Two weeks later, the day before we had a friend come up and build a chicken coop, some animal dug under the chicken wire cage and the next morning, they were all gone. Soo sad. Hailey is still convinced that the chicks and ducks dug under the wire and were swimming in the nearby river. I like that thought a lot more than the alternative.
So, we had a nice chicken coop built, with no chicks to put in. Once again, we went to KSL classifieds, and found more chicks for sale...this time, no ducks. We bought 10 of them. And so far, one month later, I am here to report that all 10 of them are still alive and growing fast.
Below is a picture of the chicken coop, in the background. And yes, that is a snake that was found in our backyard. Aaaahhhh! At least it wasn't a rattlesnake.

4 comments:

Globe Trotters said...

chickens?!? chicken coops?!? sounds so familiar :)

Angela Severe said...

you guys are just like little house on the prairie ;) haha. No.... my kids would be so jealous!!

Klingler said...

Poor first round of chicken's. That is a little funny about Tate trying to teach them how to fly. Haha. I sure love you guys. Hope the reunion went great. Miss all of you.

Kristen and Andrew said...

haha- love Ayrel's comment! Those chickens sure grow FAST holy cow!!